Monday, January 4, 2010

When life gives you grits...make grit cakes!



I am the self-proclaimed Queen of Guilt.  I can feel guilty about absolutely every freakin' thing.  I feel guilty when I don't wash out baggies, because they end up in landfills.  I feel guilty when I do wash out baggies because I'm wasting water and soap to wash them.  Hell, I feel guilty when I use a baggie, period.  For the love of God!  It is annoying to be stuck inside my head sometimes.  But the good news is that I have one less thing to feel guilty about today.  I made grit cakes!  I made a big batch of grits three days ago and swore that I would parcel out a generous serving to myself every morning until they were gone.  BUT I KEPT FORGETTING ABOUT THEM!  So today I decided to reinvent grits.  Behold Kristie's Grit Cakes!  I have to admit, I used a recipe from the "More-with-Less Cookbook" by Doris Longacre as a guide, but made plenty of modifications to make them my own.  Fry 'em up and give me some feedback.  Enjoy!

Kristie's "I-Don't-Want-To-Waste-The-Leftover-Grits" Grit Cakes

Serves 4
Two cakes per serving

Combine in a large bowl: 
2 c. cooked and chilled grits
1 12oz. can light tuna (not white!) drained and flaked
1/2 small white onion, minced
1 t. salt
dash pepper
1 t. Worcestershire sauce
1/2 c. Italian style bread crumbs, with extra set aside for coating the cakes
1/4 c. chopped fresh parsley
1 egg, beaten

Mix everything together well.  Shape the mixture into 8 cakes about the size of your average burger.  Roll in additional bread crumbs and pan fry in olive oil until golden grown.  Garnish with more fresh parsley and a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese.  Now chow down!  I put ketchup on mine.  Don't judge. 


Vegetarian variation:
Omit the tuna and the Worcestershire.  Add in 1/2 cup corn kernels, 1/2 cup drained and rinsed black beans and one small can of chopped green chilis.  Substitute cilantro for the parsley if you like and top the cakes with salsa and guacamole.  I haven't tried this yet, but I think it will be delish!

Kristie


No comments: