Saturday, January 16, 2010

One Little Birdie = Lots Of Food



You know, when you cook like your grandma you can make a lot of food with a little bit of resources.  I had a chicken from our Peaceful Pastures CSA and she was a little birdie, probably only 2 pounds.  But with that one little bird, I made a big pot of chicken chili, a pint of chicken salad and three quarts of chicken stock that will come in handy later.  When I first began this project, I felt guilty about cooking meat, eating meat and even posting about cooking and eating meat.  But I do believe in the circle of life.  Animals eat other animals.  My cat would no sooner eat a carrot than they would a piece of Styrofoam.  I know, I know, we're not cats and we certainly don't need for our diets to be 100% meat.  In fact, many people get on just fine with no animal products in their diets at all (Go vegans!).

But for me, right now, this feels good.  It feels good to buy a humanely-raised chicken and bless it as I cook it.  I thank it for giving its life to nourish me and the people I love.  No part of that chicken went to waste.  I used every piece of meat and then used the bones to make stock.  I still avoid all factory farmed meat, eggs and dairy and will continue to do so for the rest of my life.  There is absolutely no excuse for the way the majority of our meats are raised.  I am sure that my grandma would not approve.  She had such a kind, gentle heart.  I wish that I had gotten to know her better.  I wish that I had let myself really learn from her.  But I feel so connected to her by cooking this way...everything from scratch, nothing wasted and a generous portion of love in every bite.  It feels great!

Kristie

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds just like what Grandma would have accomplished in her kitchen. Even when she moved to town, she continued canning by buying veggies in bulk from folks that she knew who had gardens with produce to sell. She didn't have a lot of money to spend on food, but we still had plenty of frugal delicious home cooking. MOM

Anonymous said...

How much did the little birdie cost you? Talk about frugal Grandma Cooking... You have figured it out!!! (Just figured out that I have to stay in the box when I write. You know me... I'm "blog challenged"...but not for long. Guess if I have more to say......I'll go to box #2.) Have a great week and enjoy your tasty lunches. MOM

Anonymous said...

The retail value of the chicken was around $10, but we didn't pay that much. We got it as a part of our CSA. I'm definitely willing to pay a premium for meats that are free range and organic.