Monday, January 25, 2010

What I've been cooking lately.

Roy and I have made it 25 days without eating in a restaurant.  Yeehaw!  If you had told me a month ago that we would be abstaining from restaurants for a year, I'd have said you were crazy!  But it is working out and I am loving it.  One thing I wanted to do was learn to make a perfectly light and fluffy biscuit.  I had three, yes three, different biscuit-makers show me their methods.  I pulled some ideas from each and created these light and delicious pull-apart biscuits. The key to light biscuits, in my opinion, is to keep your dough pretty wet and to use and ice cream scoop to put them in the skillet or pan.  Rolling them out can make them tough if you're not super careful.

Today I attempted to make a sweet potato pie since we got a truck load of sweet potatoes in our last CSA delivery.  It was not pretty, folks.  Let's just say that crust-making is not my forte.  And since I'm too lazy to go to the grocery store to buy a crust, I made a sweet potato cake with a maple rum glaze instead!  We are going to a friend's home this evening for gumbo and I thought it would be a nice dessert to take along.  I added pecans to the glaze thinking it would be super cool, but it looks a little like someone vomited on the cake.  Whatever.

Finally, I wanted to show off my seitan tacos.  Every time I venture back into vegetarian and vegan cooking I am amazed by what delicious food you can create with plant-based food ONLY.  These tacos were delicious and 100% meat-free.  I'll post recipes someday soon, but now I'm off to study ocular motility.  I know you're jealous.




XOXO,
Kristie

2 comments:

Amie V said...

i don't care what it looks like, the cake sounds fab! =D

Unknown said...

Kristie, I'll dream about that cake for the rest of my life. IT WAS AMA!