Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Best EVER Vegan Nacho Cheeze Dip!

Hello my dear bleaders!  I like to pretend that here are hoards of you.  :)  Today was a challenge to be sure.  It was my first day back at school after my clinical rotation.  I was excited to start learning new things.  I had my books packed and my lunch packed, too.  I had my leftover grit cakes packed up with an apple and was looking forward to my deliciously frugal lunch.  But guess what?  I left it sitting on the kitchen counter to rot.  Dammit!!  After a frantic call to Roy to ask him to put it in the fridge for me so I could have it this evening, I resigned myself to a day of hunger.  There was NO WAY I was breaking our pact on day four.  No. Freakin. Way. Thank God I had eaten a hearty breakfast.  I did get hungry around noon, but the hunger subsided soon thereafter.  I made it home a little before 4pm and ate my leftover grit cakes.  They were delish!  Now, no one is allowed to lecture me about how bad it is to skip meals.  Blah, blah, blah.  I know it's best to eat five small meals per day.  Blah, blah, blah.  It just doesn't work for me.  Three is plenty and often two will suffice.  For someone with an addiction, it's best to limit the exposure to the substance.  Not the other way around.  At least it works better for me that way.   And since I can't hardly stand to post a blog without a picture, here's a recipe!


Vegan Chili Cheeze Dogs featuring Kristie's Vegan Nacho Cheeze Dip


Vegan Nacho Cheeze Dip

Servings: 8

Ingredients
4 cups water
1/2 cup raw cashews (buy at health food store or online)
8 oz canned pimentos or roasted red peppers, drained
4 T. cornstarch
Juice of two lemons (optional)
2 t. salt
2 cups nutritional yeast (buy at health food store or online)
1 t. onion powder
1 t. garlic powder
1 t. cumin
1 t. turmeric

Instructions
Combine all ingredients in blender and blend until completely smooth. Transfer mixture to a medium saucepan and whisk over medium/low heat until thickened, about 5 minutes. Don't give up on it if it takes longer than 5 minutes. It WILL get thick and creamy, just like nacho cheese dip.

Additions: A can of Rotel tomatoes will make this more like the Velveeta cheese dip we all had growing up, but MUCH healthier!

Serving ideas: I mix in black beans or vegan chili and pour it over baked tortilla chips. It's also great with veggies for dipping.

Kristie


No comments: